Sunday 28 January 2018

Better late..?

I glanced at the clock, half an hour had passed. Time to poke the sleeping tiger again. If I was lucky, I might be able to catch my night nurse before she handed the keys over to the day staff at hand over. Spotting my nurse, I called out to her. She stood out in her agency scrubs like a sore thumb. Glancing up, we locked eyes, before she promptly buried her head in the folder, as one might do if they are trying to hide in plain sight.

"I can see you you know" I called coolly. Still she ignored me. Muttering darkly, tummy throbbing, I fumbled under my pillow for the ever elusive call button, trying hard to avoid touching any of the patches of silicone plastic that are scattered about its smooth surface. As the Orange call light flashed above my head at the entrance to the bay, and unable to ignore me any longer, begrudgingly she started to approach. 

"Yes?!" She snapped, lips curled in a snarl. Slightly taken aback at her tone, but aware time was marching ever forwards, I replied b politely, "sorry to disturb you, but I asked for some pain relief over half an hour ago?" The muscles in her clenched jaw twitched so much, I thought they would jump right out off her face!

She rolled her eyes skyward, reluctantly slouching off in the direction of the controlled drug room. Erghh! I know her type like the back of my hand. She had been nothing but rude, dangerously lazy and insolent all night, right from the moment she had first arrived on shift. Consistently late with medications, and refusing without a bitter debate to use proper sterile technique when handling my Hickman line. 

As far she was concerned, my life line required no more special treatment than a standard peripheral cannula... I mean that is what it is isn't it, a rather large cannula?! No. It's not. One can last years and will give you a life threatening infection in minutes, (such as sepsis) if mistreated, the other does not. 

"Handover" an original cartoon by Rosie P
I was jolted out of my thoughts by the tell tale rumblings of the computer trolley. Since their introduction last year, they have been at best cluttering up the ward, and at worst preventing patients from getting their medications, by amongst other things, deleting drug charts and running out of battery. At last I thought, some pain relief. Half an hour late, but better late than never. But when the trolley approached my heart sank. Three nurses stood crowded round it, so close they seemed to move as one. 

Handover. And they were 15 minutes early. I howled, mouth open in a silent scream of frustration. Now at best it would be at least another half an hour at the earliest until I would get some relief. The plethora of nurses stopped at the end of my bed, hand over began in earnest.  

"This is Bed 32..." said the nurse, waving her hand vaguely in my direction. I huffed indignantly, "I HAVE A NAME", I screamed internally. "She requested oxynorm, but I'd already given the keys to another nurse. It's fine though she's not in that much pain". In couldn't stand it any longer. 

"And how do you know that? Are you in my body? Can you feel the saw like pain in my joints? And stabbing spasmodic pain throughout my abdomen? Just because I am not screaming the place down like some people, (I glanced towards my neighbour), does NOT mean that I'm finding my pain difficult to bear!!" The accompanying hard stare I gave turned her a spectacular shade of crimson. Paddington would have been proud. 

No comments:

Post a Comment