Tuesday 30 January 2018

Lady Sleep


Life with a Chronic illness involves a lot of waiting. Be it for new tests, or medication, or in doctors waiting rooms. Today has been spent waiting for energy that never came.

I'd promised myself that I'd get up early to start my new out of hospital routine, but when the alarm went off at 1030 as planned, I couldn't quite bring myself to wake up, so turned over to drift back into the comforting arms of sleep.

By the time I next came to, the clock had struck 1300. I leapt out of bed like a cat on a hot tin roof. Well, I say leapt. Truth is, I can't "leap" anywhere. It was more a crawl with the enthusiasm and speed of a sedated snail. My limbs felt heavy, uncooperative. Like they belonged to someone else.

I felt incredibly guilty that I'd given in and slept when I should have been awake and starting my day. My Brain was not my friend. It was muddled and foggy. Truth be told, I was wishing the hands on the clock to hurry round, counting the hours till I could wrap myself up in my favourite purple blanket and snuggle up with my hot water bottle and sleep.

"Brain Goes Sky Diving" an original cartoon by Rosie P 
But when that time does come, sleep does not. Instead my Brain is busy telling me all the things that it wants to do. Sky diving. Kayaking in Scandinavia. Exploring the Pyramid's in Giza.

Then it hits me. I cannot do those things anymore, so I mourn.

Before I know it, it's 0330 in the morning and I've not had a drop of sleep. I worry that I won't be able to get up again. The cycle will begin a new. Striving to achieve routine, yet always failing. The clock ticks. "One second less sleep". My Brain comments. The more I count the seconds, the further away from me sleep gets. My breathing quickens, panic setting in.

Just breathe I tell myself. Slowly. Focus on the cool air rushing in through your nostrils, flared and tense. Then the air leaving through your open mouth, lips pursed, the freshly warmed air tickling them. Feel your chest expand and contract.

Focus on the miracle of breathing.

Calmer, sleep starts to creep forward. She's like a shadow out of the corner of your eye. As soon as you look at her she vanishes. Gradually, with my attention focused on breathing she approaches, gently wrapping me in her warm embrace.

"Tomorrow is a new day" she whispers gently "what will be will be".


No comments:

Post a Comment