Thursday 1 February 2018

An Exam Officer Calls...

Doing any type of exam is scary and stressful. Add in a malfunctioning body with several complex and chronic illnesses, each with their own set of difficulties, and suddenly those stress levels find themselves in danger of shooting off into orbit.

The email from the University sits in your inbox gathering dust with the other emails that are too scary to act on, but too important to ignore. What if they refuse my request? What if they won't allow me the help I need? Hell, what help DO I need?! I mean you can't exactly phone up and say, "hi I wonder if you can help me. I have extra requirements for the exam... what help do I need?... good question..." you'll be a laughing stock! No much better to wait until you've worked it out, then you can go in and ask them straight. That's what they expect.

"Charlotte Rides in on her Red Charger"
An original cartoon by Rosie P
But life happens whilst you're making other plans and before you know it, it's a month before the deadline and you've thought no more about it than when the letter first came through the door. Its almost too late. And it's into this internal chaos that Charlotte from the University's Student Support Team rides one day completely out of the blue, her stead rearing dramatically. Her voice over the phone is quiet and gentle, yet firm. You know from that first exchange of hellos that you're in safe hands.

"Do you have any ideas as to how we can support you for your exam?"she asks innocently. Immediately that panic rises up from no where, and your brain goes into panic screaming mode.
Eyes wide with fear, you manage to squeak out a "No. None".
"That's fine" she replies brightly, "I didn't either when I was doing my finals". A tidal wave of relief halts screaming brain in her tracks, like a slap to the face.

Charlotte suggests you look at the statement of disability paperwork you filled out when you first joined up. It's years out of date, but that alone is a good start. It's now Ehlers Danlos Syndrome rather than plain hypermobility. Catheters and Hickman lines. She knows a bit about EDS does Charlotte. She's arranged many a special requirement package for students with the condition in the past. She knows just where to start

A Computer written exam, possibly with voice activated software. Maybe an amanuensis if I would prefer? From talking further about my needs, especially the difficulties around medications and the need to rest my hands, rest breaks, she decides, must also go on the list. As must extra time for the brain fog and also typing speed, if I do the computer exam by hand, that is. She will speak to her boss to find out details such as what a home exam would entail and whether I would be able to practice with the selected amanuensis, (if I did go down that route), before the exam itself.

Just leave it to her she says. In the meantime, I need to have a think about the options we have discussed, and start writing a letter to be signed by one of my consultants that explains to the exam board my conditions, how they effect my ability to carry out an exam and how these will be life long. She signs off with those all important words, "Don't worry. It's all under control"...

Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment